Aim — investigate the diagnostic accuracy of the Epworth questionnaire in assessing the level of daytime sleepiness and screening of obstructive sleep apnea syndrome (OSAS) in elderly patients with chronic cerebrovascular diseases. Materials and methods. 97 elderly and senile patients with snoring and diagnosed discirculatory encephalopathy (DEP) were enrolled in study. The control group included 15 elderly people with no signs of DEP. Patients underwent clinical and neurological examination, Montreal Scale Assessment (MOSA), Mental Status Assessment Scale (MMSE), Epworth score and cardio-respiratory monitoring.
Results. According to the results of logistic regression, the sensitivity of the scale for assessing the level of daytime sleepiness in patients with cerebrovascular pathology was 56.2%, and specificity 62.1%. For patients without cerebrovascular pathology, the sensitivity of the scale was 62.2%, and the specificity was 63.1%. After excluding from the analysis results of patients who indicated difficulties in completing the questionnaire, a higher sensitivity and specificity was established, namely: sensitivity 62.4% and specificity 65.8% in the main group and sensitivity 68.2% and specificity 67.5% in the control group. Conclusions. The daytime sleepiness questionnaire has a sensitivity of 56.2% and a specificity of 62.1% for screening for obstructive sleep apnea in elderly patients with chronic cerebrovascular pathology. Sensitivity and specificity of the questionnaire was higher in patients with MMSE values greater than 22, BMI below 30 kg/m2 and in women.
2. Diagnostic accuracy of the Berlin questionnaire, STOPBANG, STOP, and Epworth sleepiness scale in detecting obstructive sleep apnea: A bivariate meta-analysis / Hsiao-Yean Chiu, Pin-Yuan Chen, Li-Pang Chuang та ін. // Sleep Med. Rev. — 2017. — Р. 57-70. doi: 10.1016/j.smrv.2016.10.004.
3. Dzierzewski J. Sleep and Cognition in Older Adults / J. Dzierzewski, N. Dautovich, S. Ravyts // Sleep Med. Clin. — 2018. — № 13. — Р. 93-106. doi: 10.1016/j.jsmc.2017.09.009.
4. Diagnosis of Obstructive Sleep Apnea in Adults: A Clinical Practice Guideline From the American College of Physicians // Annals of Internal. Medicine. — 2014. — 161 (3). — Р. I‑28. doi: 10.7326/p14-9025.
5. Excessive Daytime Sleepiness in Acute Ischemic Stroke: Association With Restless Legs Syndrome, Diabetes Mellitus, Obesity, and Sleep-Disordered Breathing /
P. Šiarnik, K. Klobučníková, P. Šurda та ін. // J. Clin. Sleep Med. — 2018. — № 14. — P. 95-100. doi: 10.5664/jcsm.6890.
6. Jordan A.S. Adult obstructive sleep apnoea / A.S. Jordan, D.G. McSharry, A. Malhotra // Lancet. — 2014. — № 383. — Р. 736-747. doi: 10.1016/S0140 6736(13)60734-5.
7. Limits of the Epworth Sleepiness Scale in older adults / F. Onen, Т. Moreau, N. Gooneratne та ін. // Sleep and Breathing. — 2013. — Vol. 17, Issue 1. — Р. 343-350. doi: 10.1007/s11325-012-0700-8.
8. Predictors of daytime sleepiness in patients with obstructive sleep apnea / A. Corlateanu, S. Pylchenko, V. Sircu, V. Botnaru // Pneumologia. — 2015. — № 64. — С. 21-25.
9. Reliability and Validity of the Pittsburgh Sleep Quality Index and the Epworth Sleepiness Scale in Older Men / S.P. Adam, B.A. Sherry, K.L. Stone та ін. // J. Gerontol. A Biol. Sci. Med. Sci. — 2012. — № 67. — P. 433-439. doi: 10.1093/gerona/glr172.